Both automatic and manual transmissions have a clutch. This constantly-used component allows the gears to be changed out, even though there is constant horsepower turning the powertrain. This propels your car forward and allows you to accelerate, changing out the gears at the proper time either manually or automatically.
One of the most common signs of a failing clutch is gear slipping. This feels like your car fell down a step when accelerating. Your engine will race when the higher gear will fail to engage. If you notice this and you’re in the Castle Rock area, it’s time to make an appointment or stop by Titan Auto Tech for a diagnostic inspection to pinpoint the problem.
Warning Signs of Clutch Failure
- The pedal feels soft or spongy when pressed down
- The clutch pedal feels like it is stuck to the floorboard
- The pedal vibrates when your car is accelerating
- Your gears do not shift smoothly or you notice gear slipping
- Your transmission snaps out of gear
- All of these may be accompanied by a burning smell
- You may hear grinding noises as your car shifts
Components of the Clutch System
- Clutch disc
- Mechanical or hydraulic release mechanism
- Pressure plate
- Pilot or release bearing
- Clutch fork